Talking Herbal Body Care With Kari Jansen of Poppy and Someday
Inspired by plants and their remarkable ability to heal and teach, California-based herbalist and Ayurvedic practitioner Kari Jansen created a line of organic and all-natural body care products and called it Poppy and Someday. We asked her to give us an introduction.
What is the story behind Poppy and Someday?
– Poppy and Someday was inspired by plants and their remarkable ability to heal and teach. Our product line features an evolving collection of organic body care products, each of which is comprised of a unique blend of constitutional ingredients. The product design process is rooted in the study of Ayurveda and Western Herbalism and focuses on native plant ingredients. Every ingredient comes from Mother Earth and never contains any synthetics or preservatives.
What ingredients do you favor for your products, and how do you source them?
– I love to incorporate the plants that grow around me. Then I can spend time in the garden and take adventures to wild harvest the plants that don’t grow in my yard. My favorite herbs are Mugwort, White Sage, Lemon Balm, Rosemary and Lavender. These are all herbs that do really well in South California. I always have a studio full of drying herbs.
What is the power of herbs, and why do they make good skin care?
– Herbs and plants are our healers. They have unique chemistry that acts as an ally to our body systems. Our skin is our largest organ and everything we put on topically enters into our bloodstream. So it is important that our body care products are clean from fillers, chemicals, and un-natural materials, for they end up clogging our pores and filling up our receptor sites with synthetics, which can lead to diseases. And having a clean diet is just as important as what products you put on your body.
“Our skin is our largest organ and everything we put on topically enters into our bloodstream. So it is important that our body care products are clean from fillers, chemicals, and un-natural materials”
Would you like to share your creative process with us?
– I work in a studio that is located in a canyon surrounded by nature. This quiets my mind and allows me to get in the rhythm of nature. Love hearing the birds and seeing the trees sway as I make each product. When I grow and harvest a new plant, I love to come up with a product.
How do you use your Ayurvedic knowledge when making new products?
– Many new products are ones I make for clients – I always give a product after a session with me. Ayurveda is the lens I look through when I make any products. Then I can be inspired by the seasons or my travels.
If you have never tried herbal skin care before, what are good products to start with?
– I think face oils and serums are a good place to start. I use them to cleanse my face as well. Oils are so calming and restorative to our nervous system, which can use some love at the end of a day. Put oil on your face and gently massage, finding all those marma points along your eyebrow, outside your nose and into those tight jaw points.
What will be your beauty routine for this summer?
– Oiling up as much as I can. The summer brings dry heat, which can deplete my body, and I have to stay hydrated and nourished from the foods I eat – like coconuts, seaweeds and raw oils on top of my foods. My favorite thing to do is lay naked in the sun and use Canyon Sun Oil to massage my body – it is so nourishing and relaxing. I am increasing blood flow, grounding my nervous system and then I can receive Vit D. Oils like Sea Buckthorn and Rosehip Seed Oil are natural sun protectors, allowing my mind and skin to look and feel amazing.
What does self love mean to you?
– Loving your body by taking a tub with rose petals, salt scrubbing, and giving yourself a daily oil massage with your favorite oils and essential oils.
Radiant Skin with Plant-Based, Active Skincare Made Freshly in Sweden
OM-SE wants to provide you with simple tools to create your personalised made skincare cocktail. We ask co-founder Jenny Huurinainen how it's done.
The Making of a Sustainable and Inclusive Skincare Brand
"I've tried to create the skincare brand that I was looking for myself." We talk to founder of RDP Skincare Rebecca Dufour Partanen about launching her dream sustainable and inclusive skincare brand.
Get To Know Tautanz – A Conscious Brand for the Eco Bathroom
In the market for a little bathroom eco-upgrade? Check out the linen robes and handcrafted soaps from Tautanz.
Henné Organics Founder Laura Xiao Gives a Lip Care Crash Course
We bet we’re not the only ones suffering from dry and cracked lips this time of year, which is why we've brought in some expert help.