Natural-origin haircare line Biolage R.A.W. invites inspirational women to share their thoughts about living R.A.W. Meet poets, twins and Insta-stars Victoria and Elizabeth Lejonhjärta.
What defines you?
– We try not to be defined by anything.
Would you say you live close to nature?
– Yes. Partly because we’ve lived most of our lives surrounded by forests and mountains, but also in the sense that nature is our main source of inspiration.
How do you define “raw”?
– It’s something that exists in symbiosis with nature, body and spirit.
What does “raw” mean to you?
– It’s been an ideal for us our whole lives. We grew up “Ital”, which in our culture means to live a natural life, eating as much plant based, organic food as possible and staying connected to the earth. Generally—living in a way that increases levity.
How much effort do you put into making greener choices in your everyday life?
– We both perpetually strive to become better at reducing our ecological footprint.
What’s your best sustainability tip?
– Treat the earth the way you want earth to treat you.
What’s your food philosophy?
– We’re essentially vegetarians, but try to eat vegan and Ital food as much as we can.
What’s good health to you?
– Being aware of what one consumes both physically and mentally—bringing balance to the force.
What’s your guilty pleasure?
– Chocolate. It’s basically our kryptonite.
What’s your hair type and how does it behave?
– Our hair is curly, unrefined and always in need of moisture.
How would you describe your relationship to your hair?
– We try not to be too attached to our hair. Elizabeth’s been plotting to one day shave it all of ever since we saw The Matrix as 10 year olds. Shout out to Trinity! However, our hair has played a significant part in our lives, serving as a political, spiritual and cultural statement. It has also been one of the most blatant racial markers for us since locs carry a huge stigma that we still have to deal with daily. But we carry them with pride and love, and they kind of make us feel like superheroes.
Tell us about your hair routine!
– We try not to use shampoo, at least not the kind that’s got silicones or preservatives in it. And once in awhile, we do deep cleanses with baking soda or apple cider vinegar.
Have you ever detoxed your hair?
Are there any hair-related experiences that stand out in your memory?
– I remember the day we first loced our hair. The locs were really short, and I recall banging my head while playing a reggae song real loud, loving it. When we got to school after that weekend, our teachers were appalled and told us we’d “ruined” our hair. With our short hair and baggy clothes, we got mistaken for boys all the time after that, but it just made us love it even more. None of those people had ever seen The Matrix or listened to Peter Tosh, so we didn’t really rate their opinions.
Do you have any homemade recipes for hair and beauty treatments, or any natural ingredients you swear by?
– Coconut, jojoba and black castor oil. Oh, and shea butter. Best friends ever.
How do you hope your hair and beauty routine will develop over time?
– All we wish for is to be healthy in all aspects of our lives. To achieve that, our plan is to live as natural as possible.
This article is part of a collaboration with Biolage.
They traded Tech for Bars – and launched Beauty Disrupted
When learning that some 80 billion plastic shampoo and conditioner bottles are thrown in the bin annually, a lot of them ending up in our oceans, Alban Mayne and Svante Holm quit their successful careers in the tech industry to start Beauty Disrupted. Here's their story.
Radiant Skin with Plant-Based, Active Skincare Made Freshly in Sweden
OM-SE wants to provide you with simple tools to create your personalised made skincare cocktail. We ask co-founder Jenny Huurinainen how it's done.
The Making of a Sustainable and Inclusive Skincare Brand
"I've tried to create the skincare brand that I was looking for myself." We talk to founder of RDP Skincare Rebecca Dufour Partanen about launching her dream sustainable and inclusive skincare brand.
Get To Know Tautanz – A Conscious Brand for the Eco Bathroom
In the market for a little bathroom eco-upgrade? Check out the linen robes and handcrafted soaps from Tautanz.