Get to know Carl Oaks–a brand that makes sunglasses out of recycled wood.
Sunglass brand Carl Oaks was created by a group of friends who left their careers to begin a fun and adventurous journey. They share a love for the environment, which made them want to work with wood. All of Carl Oaks’ products are manufactured by recycled material and for each pair of sunglasses sold a tree is planted. We had a chat with Magnus Åhman to get to know the brand a little bit better.
Please tell us about how the journey of Carl Oaks started.
– I have a big city background and have lived and worked in some of the major capitals of the world. Over the years, I have felt a stronger longing for nature, to enjoy our environment, and feel the soothing relaxation of sitting on a mountaintop or being completely alone in the ocean. I basically wanted to get away from the fast paced lifestyle, take a step back and try to acknowledge the important things in life. So, one day I decided to leave my regular life and focus on a new lifestyle inspired by nature, traveling and adventures.
– Being an entrepreneur, I have a lot of ideas, but the most inspiring one was to create environmentally friendly sunglasses out of wood, to match my new lifestyle. I love the idea of combining the environmentally friendly materials and the natural style with fashion. To make people conscious about our environment in everyday life and make people realise that you can help the planet and look good at the same time.
Where does your inspiration comes from?
– Our inspiration comes from all the beautiful places we have seen and people we have met during the journey. We try to boil down the beauty of the world into our small little brand and our products, it’s tricky but we are trying! You will definitely see more products coming out, we have only just begun.
What are working on right now?
– We are at the moment working on a really colorful fall collection that should be out in October. At the same time, we are working on a new line for next year with some new frames. We are also constantly working hard on improving our sustainability and quality of our materials. The next few months are really exciting; we are super stoked about everything!
Which sunglass model is your personal favorite and why?
– My personal favorite model is the Ruby Beech. It has a natural clean fit on most faces and the glass is fantastic. To be honest, I didn’t like it at first but now I can’t stop wearing them!
All your products are made from wood and you also plant a tree for every sold pair of sunglasses (impressive!). How does Carl Oaks wish to develop its sustainable offer?
– Yes, planting trees is the least we can do, it feels good to try to erase our carbon footprint. Going forward we will improve our own production process and choice of materials. We will also carefully choose business partners in order to make sure that all aspects of our business and brand are fully enviromentally friendly. There is such a huge interest in our environment right now, and we want to be a strong voice in getting the message out there even more.
Make it last x Circulose Jacket
With deadstock Circulose® fabric and local production by Fugeetex, Make it last launches its first product– a timeless jacket reminding of the real luxury of fashion.
The 3 Hottest Brands at Copenhagen Fashion Week
These three brands are shortlisted for the Zalando Sustainability Award.
Amason: ”We send files, emails and animals”
With the release of the first single from their upcoming album (and a virtual release party tonight), Swedish band Amason teams up with adidas and the new, more sustainable Stan Smith. The space of which the iconic shoe enters is one where the love of nature takes center stage. Make it last talks to the band about why they always end up with the animals.
Stan Smith, Forever
Always iconic. Now more sustainable. We’re proudly partnering up with adidas to show you the next generation of sustainable takes on the storied Stan Smith silhouette.