SËBOU Tells Untold Stories Through Carpets and Ceramics
Lately, dreamy imagery of handcrafted carpets in beautiful settings has caught our eyes on Instagram. The sender is SËBOU, a new brand aiming to share untold stories through the craftsmanship of carpets–and soon ceramics. The carpets are designed in Sweden and knitted by eight women from different tribes in the Kenitra region in Morocco.
Make it last asks co-founder Omar Marhri (pictured above with colleague Wadood Suberu) about SËBOU’S visions and where the idea of launching the brand came from.
– It was never really an idea that just came to me, it is been more of a process after taking interest in the art and craftsmanship of carpets from a very early age. For thousands of years, the Moroccan Berbs have been knotting carpets in the same way with the same historic designs and materials. I’m trying to challenge what has been, mixing old with new, Swedish with Moroccan. I became truly inspired by Märta Måås-Fjetterström’s art of weaving.
How did you find your way to the Kenitra region and the women who knot the carpets?
– I have a family house in Kenitra and I’ve spent most of my summers there. As I got older, I started going on quests in Morocco during my stays. I wanted to find the best weaver, and then I finally found the right person who understood my vision and ideas.
What does the design process look like?
– It starts when I wake up and ends when I go to sleep. I’m constantly thinking and visualizing colors, objects, sounds and blends. When I have and idea, I narrow it down and create the pattern and match it with colors of yarn that I believe will go well together. Later I work with the weaver to start the weaving process.
What have been some of the most valuable experiences from idea to launch? (Please share the difficult ones!)
– Learning how to work creatively, to design and produce products. This entire process is new to me. And to be honest selling online is one of my bigger challenges. I’ve mostly sold products thru face to face meetings.
You mention ceramics on Instagram – what’s in the pipeline for the brand except for the rugs?
– We will be launching our own SËBOU yarn and design handmade ceramics for restaurants and hotels.
What’s SËBOU’S definition of sustainability?
– Sustainability for us is working with a production process where we make everything from scratch. We make our yarn and we blend our own clay for the ceramic. For us it’s making sure the people we work with are adequately payed and the nature from which we create our products is respected. Quality in our product lays in respect for human being and nature.
Letar du efter färg med ambitiöst miljötänk att måla om ditt hem med?
Vi har förälskat oss i svenska Färgbygge.
Emma Olbers on Sustainability In the Furniture Design Industry — Is There Any?
Giving fashion a break to investigate sustainability in the booming business of furniture design. Expert help needed.
When All You Want to Do Is Hide Under a Pihl Strehl Throw
Winter is dragging on, and all we can think of is cuddling up inside under a cozy (and mindfully made) blanket. Enter interior design brand Pihl Strehl.
A Rookie’s Guide to Plant Incenses
What are the all-natural herb and wood incenses all about? We're finding out!