SËBOU Tells Untold Stories Through Carpets and Ceramics
Lately, dreamy imagery of handcrafted carpets in beautiful settings has caught our eyes on Instagram. The sender is SËBOU, a new brand aiming to share untold stories through the craftsmanship of carpets–and soon ceramics. The carpets are designed in Sweden and knitted by eight women from different tribes in the Kenitra region in Morocco.
Make it last asks co-founder Omar Marhri (pictured above with colleague Wadood Suberu) about SËBOU’S visions and where the idea of launching the brand came from.
– It was never really an idea that just came to me, it is been more of a process after taking interest in the art and craftsmanship of carpets from a very early age. For thousands of years, the Moroccan Berbs have been knotting carpets in the same way with the same historic designs and materials. I’m trying to challenge what has been, mixing old with new, Swedish with Moroccan. I became truly inspired by Märta Måås-Fjetterström’s art of weaving.
How did you find your way to the Kenitra region and the women who knot the carpets?
– I have a family house in Kenitra and I’ve spent most of my summers there. As I got older, I started going on quests in Morocco during my stays. I wanted to find the best weaver, and then I finally found the right person who understood my vision and ideas.
What does the design process look like?
– It starts when I wake up and ends when I go to sleep. I’m constantly thinking and visualizing colors, objects, sounds and blends. When I have and idea, I narrow it down and create the pattern and match it with colors of yarn that I believe will go well together. Later I work with the weaver to start the weaving process.
What have been some of the most valuable experiences from idea to launch? (Please share the difficult ones!)
– Learning how to work creatively, to design and produce products. This entire process is new to me. And to be honest selling online is one of my bigger challenges. I’ve mostly sold products thru face to face meetings.
You mention ceramics on Instagram – what’s in the pipeline for the brand except for the rugs?
– We will be launching our own SËBOU yarn and design handmade ceramics for restaurants and hotels.
What’s SËBOU’S definition of sustainability?
– Sustainability for us is working with a production process where we make everything from scratch. We make our yarn and we blend our own clay for the ceramic. For us it’s making sure the people we work with are adequately payed and the nature from which we create our products is respected. Quality in our product lays in respect for human being and nature.
A Rookie’s Guide to Plant Incenses
What are the all-natural herb and wood incenses all about? We're finding out!
The Sustainable New Year’s Resolutions We Should All Be Making
Let 2020 be your greenest year yet: Read our 10 best tips for how to make it happen!
Editor’s Pick: 15 Make It Last-Approved Holiday Gifts
In search of the perfect present? Browse our selection of eco-friendly, plastic-free, recycled or otherwise great holiday gifts.
Circular Christmas Gifts
Aiming to contribute mainly to the circular economy this time of the year? This might help!