A conscious gift can be many different things. We especially love the ones that do good for both people and planet, and isn’t that what this holiday is all about anyway – doing good? Make it last co-founder Emma Elwin shares some truly great gifts to give or wish for.
“My favorite gift the past few years is to donate to a charity in the name of loved ones, and this year I am donating to WWF. When it comes to physical gifts I try to only buy things that are either second hand finds, or made with recycled or organic materials. The following gifts are therefore recycled, timeless, organic, second hand or homemade.”
1. If there is one thing that is hard to buy second hand, it’s cutting boards. I wish for a high-quality one like this.
Cutting board, Blackcreek Mercantile & Trading Co./The Line.
2. Make your own skin oil to give away. My favorite to make is almond oil with a sprig of rosemary.
Body Oil, Homemade.
3. Right now, I’m trying to cover my walls with female artists to level up my daily intake of girl power.
Poster, Helene Egeland/Artilleriet.
4. If I would wish for something for myself, it would be “old Céline” jewelry from Vestiaire Collective.
Céline Earrings, Second Hand/Vestiaire Collective.
5.These cleaning products are eco-friendly, refillable, and you don’t have to hide them away in the cleaning cupboard.
All Clean Start Kit, Pure Effect/Lapland Ecostore.
6. This lamp is made from reclaimed driftwood. I might try to make a similar one from the driftwood we brought home from France.
Driftwood Lamp, Nauticum Shop.
7. I love this website with great pre-owned furniture. There’s so many great gifts, like this chair by Arne Jacobsen.
Chair by Arne Jacobsen, Auktionstipset.
8. Let’s try to minimize our plastic purchases this Christmas. These speakers from Transparent Sound are made from wood or ceramic.
Speakers, Transparent Sound.
9. If you’d like to give a physical gift that also do good, most charities sell bracelets. By purchasing the 4 Ocean Bracelet, you will remove one pound of trash from the ocean and coastlines.
4 Ocean Bracelet, MustCare.
Still Craving Clay, Especially Pieces by Simone Bodmer-Turner
Obsessing over Brooklyn-based ceramic artist Simone Bodmer-Turner and her handbuilt clay vessels.
Celebrating the Women Who Make it Last
In honor of International Women’s Day, we pay tribute to some of the female forces that inspire us in work, and life.
Altered’s Design Innovation Helps You Reduce Water Consumption by 98%
The Altered:Nozzle has the potential of saving billions of liters of water as well as energy and CO2 emissions.
Ocean Plastics to Bring Classic Danish Design Back to Life
Copenhagen-based design studio Mater introduces the Ocean Collection with original ‘50s designs by Nanna Ditzel.