Current Obsession: Kovac Family’s Reclaimed Wood Chair
Already fans of their sustainable Numbers Lamps, we’re equally impressed by Kovac Family’s latest release: a minimalist lounge chair made by hand from FSC certified reclaimed oak and rattan. Co-founding designer Camilla Kovac gives us an update.
What’s the idea and inspiration behind your new 15Chair?
– We wanted to make a very minimalistic low lounge chair – a symbol of mixing high flying thoughts with a connection to the earth. It’s inspired by the Japanese low sitting, and it’s basically just a frame with rattan to contrast the hard wood with a soft seat.
What can you tell us about the materials you’re using and how you’ve sourced them?
– Normally, manufacturers exclude wood with too much grain or knot holes, conformity being the main objective. We thought the opposite, and wanted to highlight the wood grain and other individual expressions. So we asked for leftovers that would have otherwise been burnt as fuel. Every chair is produced from hand selected pieces of FSC certified reclaimed oak.
What does the FSC certification imply?
– FSC controls the entire chain from forest to shelf and regulates many different factors ranging from biodiversity, social and economic wellbeing of workers and, of course, that the wood is harvested responsibly, avoiding deforestation.
Would you like to share the design and production process?
– Everything is made by hand, from sketches to prototype to finished product! This is done in Sweden as we try to keep the production local.
Just like the lamps, the chair comes in flat packaging. Why is this better?
– Transportation in our highly globalized world has a huge impact on CO2 emissions. Keeping parcels small makes shipping more efficient, which is important if we want to make a minimal ecological footprint.
Whose home would you love to see the 15Chair in?
– Everyone’s! We would like everybody to be more engaged in environmental issues and make environmentally friendly choices. The real power of change lays in the buyer’s hands.
A Rookie’s Guide to Plant Incenses
What are the all-natural herb and wood incenses all about? We're finding out!
The Sustainable New Year’s Resolutions We Should All Be Making
Let 2020 be your greenest year yet: Read our 10 best tips for how to make it happen!
Editor’s Pick: 15 Make It Last-Approved Holiday Gifts
In search of the perfect present? Browse our selection of eco-friendly, plastic-free, recycled or otherwise great holiday gifts.
Circular Christmas Gifts
Aiming to contribute mainly to the circular economy this time of the year? This might help!