Meet Stylist Amanda Persson Who Models in Our Latest Edit
For our latest Edit, we portrayed stylist Amanda Persson wearing House of Dagmar’s new organic collection of crisp and summer-fresh shirting. Wanting to get to know her a bit better, we sat down together for a quick Q&A.
A pretty blunt question: Who are you?
– My name is Amanda, I live in Gothenburg and work as a stylist for Monki.
How did you become a stylist at Monki, and what do you do at work?
– I had just moved back home from London where I studied Fashion Business and saw an opening as a stylist assistant at Monki.com. Today I work as styling coordinator in a tiny super-team made up by Amanda Johansson, who is head of styling, and me. I’m responsible for the E-commerce process and do a lot of castings, and sometimes street castings, which I love!
How do you like to portray girls and women in your work, and what ideals and values do you think are important to communicate?
– I like to portray girls in an unpolished, non-perfect world where you can see genuine personality and character #nofilter. Then there’s the importance of showing diversity, of course, and bigger brands must be role models in that.
– Working with young women on a daily basis is essential to empower them. There is no such thing as perfection, and I think we could discuss the negative impact of social media on today’s youth more than we do now.
What else should be a conversation in the world of fashion (and feminism) today?
– Big fashion houses and commercial brands should take responsibility for what they communicate to young girls, and have more dialogues of diversity to constantly move forward. These conversations are not a trend, but rather here to stay, and the same goes for feminism and the importance of women supporting each other.
Your job is dressing others, but how was it being a model yourself?
– Pauline and Mikaela have such a great eye for what they do, and I’ve been a fan of their work for a while, so being part of this shoot was really fun and inspiring. But standing in front of the camera was not that easy as facial muscles and fingers live their own lives, haha. However, being on the other side of the camera was a great experience.
How did you feel wearing House of Dagmar’s organic cotton collection? Any favorites?
– I felt expensive and crisp wearing House of Dagmar. I loved the all-white look—so icy.
How would you describe your personal style and shopping philosophy?
– I’m still very influenced by the ‘90s, but with a modern twist: I’m a sucker for matching sets and all things shiny mixed with something laidback. I also find it very amusing to experiment with different styles that turn me into different characters.
– My shopping philosophy is to buy more vintage, and I want to say “one in, one out”, but that would probably be a lie.
You have awesome hair! What is your relationship to it, and how do you care for it?
– Thank you! I love changing my hair and trying different things. I’m still working on my relationship to my curls as I love them one day, and try to figure out what I’m doing wrong the next. I’m treating it with coconut oil and a Curl Enhancing Smoothie, and also try to take my vitamins. The biggest enemy to my hair is the straightener.
Top 3 Instagrammers to follow?
Is Leak-Proof Underwear Going to Revolutionize Our Periods?
Make it last editor Johanna Andersson sheds some light on the new ‘period-proof panties’ and shares the reasons why she'd consider giving them a go.
Lisa's Green Dreams are Made by Maryam Nassir Zadeh
Apparently, Swedes are dreamers, longing for warmer weather and prettier outfits. Make it last co-founder Lisa Corneliusson is no different.
Editor’s Pick: 9 Luxe Bedroom Essentials Combining Style and Sustainability
We're picked out some of the most beautiful bedding and nightwear right now, all mindfully made from natural and organic materials.
Swedish Stockings Push Innovation Further With New, Fully Recycled Products
The new ‘Innovations by Swedish Stockings’ line includes the first nylon tights made from 100% recycled components. We've got all the details!