María Bernad: “Vintage is the most sustainable form of fashion”
We’ve asked some of our favorite people to answer 10 questions about style and sustainability. This time, we picked the brain of María Bernad, fashion designer and co-founder of Les Fleurs Vintage.
How would you describe your style?
– My style is eclectic, and I only wear clothes I love.
What’s your shopping philosophy?
– When shopping, I start by colors and then check the quality—I love natural fabrics.
How do you define sustainable fashion?
– Sustainable fashion to me is defined by good quality and good design meant to live for a long time. It’s the opposite of wear and tear, and rather refers to long-lasting garments. Sustainable fashion also means caring for the environment.
Do you have any favorite eco-friendly, ethical or sustainable fashion brands?
– Most of my favorites are vintage brands, because I believe that vintage is the most sustainable form of fashion.
In what ways are you trying to make greener choices in your everyday life?
– When it comes to fashion, I try to pick quality over quantity.
What’s your relationship to second hand and vintage fashion?
– My favorite kind of clothes and shops are vintage, so I think it’s a great relationship. I love to source pieces at vintage markets, and I feel that my vintage brand “Les Fleurs” represents my love story with pre-owned fashion.
Do you have a favorite natural or organic beauty product?
– I think the most natural beauty product I use is my grandma’s aloe vera face cream. She makes it at home with aloe vera plants from our garden.
How do you make your garments last?
– I think it’s important to know how to care for ones clothes, and also knowing the specific ways of washing and drying different kinds of fabrics.
How do you hope the fashion industry will change for the future?
– I hope the fashion industry will stop going so fast, and that people will develop the same love for vintage clothing that I have. Since fashion trends are going back and forth all the time, styles resembling for example ‘70s or ‘80s fashion are so easy to find on the vintage market and doesn’t have to be bought new.
Photos borrowed from @maria_bernad
Wedding Special: Conscious Brides, Look Here!
Getting married? We've selected 20 wedding-perfect pieces with multi-use potential for the conscious and contemporary bride.
Fashion News: Weekday Launches 100% Recycled Denim Collection
Weekday's low-impact denim collection is made from 100% recycled cotton and polyester. We've got the details.
Brand to Watch: Skall Studio
We take a closer look at Skall Studio – a sustainably run fashion label designed by Danish sister duo Julie and Marie Skall.
All Eyes On Sandqvist’s Yoga Focused 'Fusion' Collection
Sandqvist designer Johanna Spansk on the sustainable 'Fusion' bag launch, also including an eco-friendly Yoga mat.