Natural-origin haircare line Biolage R.A.W. invites inspirational women to share their thoughts about living R.A.W. Meet stylist and dj Wasima Ayad.
What defines you?
– Vivid emotions and vibrant energy.
Would you say you live close to nature?
– I grew up on an island where I was surrounded by water and trees, but I never really felt connected to nature until I moved to the big city. That made me appreciate nature so much more.
How do you define “raw”?
– I would define raw as something authentic and untouched.
What does “raw” mean to you?
– Beauty uncompromised.
How much effort do you put into making greener choices in your everyday life?
– I always like to imagine what food would look like inside my body after I’ve eaten it and think that “the greener, the better”.
What’s your food philosophy?
– Eat and treat yourself right!
What’s good health to you?
– For me, physical health has always been very important. Also to know myself, what’s good for me and what’s not. Taking care of body, mind and soul is like my inner motto, and by doing this it becomes so much easier being a good friend, sister, partner and individual. I always try to have a conversation with myself—in a non-scary way, haha—about how I feel and what I want my life to be. It’s like I’m having a best friend relationship with myself. It also helps me forgive myself those times in life when I fuck up.
What’s your guilty pleasure?
– I really don’t have any guilty pleasures, because I don’t believe that anything that gives you pleasure is worth feeling guilty for. But maybe mine would be some incredible non-healthy food, like fried cheese.
What’s your hair type and how does it behave?
– My hair is ace!
How would you describe your relationship to your hair?
– My hair has always played a big roll in my life and it kind of sets the mood for a whole lot of things. I’d probably say I’ve got a mother-daughter relationship to it. Sometimes I’ve scared my hair so much with all the coloring and ironing I’ve put it through—but my hair always loves me. It’s like a mother’s unconditional love, you know? So you got to take care of it and spoil it with love.
Tell us about your hair routine!
– I wash my hair way more often than I’m actually allowed to. But I never shampoo unless it gets too oily—then I’ll just do it to keep the roots fresh.
Have you ever detoxed your hair?
– Nah, not really. Because even if I don’t shampoo it, I’m still very much obsessed with conditioner.
Are there any hair-related experiences that stand out in your memory?
– One time I set my hair on fire while I was out dancing. But let’s not talk about that… Trauma.
Do you have any homemade recipes for hair and beauty treatments, or any natural ingredients you swear by?
– I mean, organic coconut oil is kind of the essential key to everything in life, haha, so I’ll say that.
How do you hope your hair and beauty routine will develop over time?
– Less is more, Wasima! I need to be gentle to my hair.
Getting My Glow On
Emma's two favorite things of the moment.
9 Natural and Toxin-Free Deodorants Rumored to be Ace
Have you made the deo-switch yet? Skip toxic aluminums and go natural!
Isn't it Time We All Considered the Natural Deodorant Option?
We explore the natural ways of controlling that unwelcome armpit odor.
Soap and Toothpaste
Emma is keeping to a scaled back and natural beauty/health routine on her holiday.