Natural-origin haircare line Biolage R.A.W. invites inspirational women to share their thoughts about living R.A.W. Meet director Nim Sundström.
What defines you?
– My work.
Would you say you live close to nature?
– Unfortunately not. But I’ve compensated by creating a jungle of plants in my apartment.
How do you define “raw”?
– As something natural.
What does “raw” mean to you?
– Not making things harder than they need to be, and using what has already been available to us for centuries.
How much effort do you put into making greener choices in your everyday life?
– To be honest, I’d say I’m a typical middle class kid with left wing values that lives as green as I can—as long as it doesn’t complicate my life too much. I buy organic, I’m a vegetarian, I rarely eat dairy, I recycle and I throw away as little as possible. But I don’t fool myself into thinking I’m a hundred percent green. I still travel, buy new things etcetera.
What’s your best sustainability tip?
– Take care of what you have.
What’s your food philosophy?
– Eat whatever you like and what makes you feel good. I wouldn’t like to restrict my diet to healthy stuff alone, but I basically only eat home cooked food made from good organic products.
What’s good health to you?
– Taking care of myself, both psychically and physically.
What’s your guilty pleasure?
– This is something I only do when I’m with my best friend or boyfriend. I like to buy a bag of candy, and then put my five to ten favorite pieces out on the table. I don’t finish them all at once, but take a small bite of each. I figure that if I do this, nobody else can eat my favorite pieces. Plus, I’m creating a freaking candy buffet! I know it looks ridiculous and they always tease me for it, saying I look like a squirrel in its nest.
What’s your hair type and how does it behave?
– I’ve got my mothers Asian hair infused with dad’s curls, so it’s very diverse. Some days it’s really curly, others it’s wavy and sometimes it’s more like an Einstein frizz.
How would you describe your relationship to your hair?
– A good hair day is a good day. I think I’m more aware of my hair then I’d like to be. For me, hair is as important as the clothes you wear, if not more.
Tell us about your hair routine!
– I sleep with a leave in hair treatment once a week and then wash it out the next morning. I really try not to use shampoo more than once or twice a week, to keep my hair in good shape. That’s also why I consider dry shampoo to be a gift sent from heaven.
Have you ever detoxed your hair?
– I’ve tried it voluntary in an attempt to master the “no-poo method”, and involuntary so during hectic work periods. It’s not really for me though.
Are there any hair-related experiences that stand out in your memory?
– Perhaps the first time I went to a really good hair salon. It was Fringe at Odenplan in Stockholm, and I thought it was like coming home. It’s really amazing to talk to people who knows so much about hair, and feel completely safe putting your hair in their hands.
Do you have any homemade recipes for hair and beauty treatments, or any natural ingredients you swear by?
– This is probably not news to anyone, but I love to use coconut oil as a natural hair treatment.
How do you hope your hair and beauty routine will develop over time?
– I work a lot and don’t have very much spare time. So I’d love to find a go-to product that always makes my hair look good.
Get To Know Tautanz – A Conscious Brand for the Eco Bathroom
In the market for a little bathroom eco-upgrade? Check out the linen robes and handcrafted soaps from Tautanz.
Henné Organics Founder Laura Xiao Gives a Lip Care Crash Course
We bet we’re not the only ones suffering from dry and cracked lips this time of year, which is why we've brought in some expert help.
After a Year of Testing: These Are My Three Best SKIN TREAT Products
Emma is often asked to share her best Christmas gift ideas. Here's a safe one.
Rahua Co-Founder Anna Ayers On the Brand’s Do-Good Hero Ingredient (and More)
If you’re curious about the rahua oil, a champion of the Amazon rainforest, or just want some advice on hair care, this should be your weekend read!