Natural-origin haircare line Biolage R.A.W. invites inspirational women to share their thoughts about living R.A.W. Meet journalist, podcaster and radio host Amie Bramme Sey.
What defines you?
Would you say you live close to nature?
– Where I live, in Skarpnäck, the lake and forest is only a short 10-minute walk away. I love that. Nature really is my right habitat; it’s where I feel the most at home. Someday, I might just pack up and move to a little cottage somewhere.
How do you define “raw”?
– No poo!
What does “raw” mean to you?
– Fresh and natural—earth’s own fragrances and colors.
How much effort do you put into making greener choices in your everyday life?
– My main contribution is my food choices. I’ve been a vegetarian since I was 13, and would never consider eating animals again. All the negative consequences of the meat industry make defending meat-eating impossible. No doubt vegetarians are smarter, kinder and hotter than everyone else.
What’s your best sustainability tip?
– Buy and sell your things second hand. There’s nothing better then clearing out your closet and selling things of on a flea market. These are the best kind of social events, if you ask me. You meet nice people, find unique pieces that won’t cost you much, and—it’s great for the environment.
What’s your food philosophy?
– Copy André 3000—go green!
What’s good health to you?
– Happiness! Only eat food that makes me feel light yet strong in both body and mind. Food should always be a social and beautiful thing, if you ask me.
What’s your guilty pleasure?
– I don’t feel guilt, haha, and have no guilty pleasure.
What’s your hair type and how does it behave?
– My hair is a mix of my dad’s Afro and my mum’s straight Nordic hair, so it’s curly. It thrives in warm and moist climates, like the Tobago rainforest—it really was at its happiest there. To my hair, the Swedish winter is a disaster. It gets really dry and loses all its shine. During these months, you really have to spoil it with lots love and treatments in order to bring some life back into it.
How would you describe your relationship to your hair?
– When I was younger, I had a more complex relationship to my hair. I had lots of bad hair days just because of things like having the wrong hairbrushes and products or a lack of inspiration. Naturally, living in a society where Afro hair and curls are not seen as something beautiful or desirable, really reflects badly on the way you look upon yourself while growing up.
– Today, I look at my hair and myself in a totally different way. Since I started using the right kind of products and treatments, my hair is the bomb. I would seriously never wish for any other kind of hair.
Tell us about your hair routine!
– I shampoo it and use a hot oil treatment once a week. I use conditioner maybe twice a week, and apply a leave in conditioner daily.
Do you have any homemade recipes for hair and beauty treatments, or any natural ingredients you swear by?
– Hot oil treatments are perfect for dry hair, especially if you’ve got an Afro or curly hair. It gives you back some glow, makes the hair softer and easier to work with and defines your curls. Plus, it’s cheap and easy to do—you can simply google hot oil treatment, and see how it’s done on Youtube. I use a mix of olive and coconut oil.
How do you hope your hair and beauty routine will develop over time?
– I hope to find that miracle cure that quickly makes the hair grow long and strong. I’ve tried everything from food supplements to different treatments, but there doesn’t seem to be a magical way of making my hair grow faster. Well, maybe it would if I lived in Tobago…
Scent and Memory
When Emma got this new scented candle, it was instant love!
My New Year's Look With Retro Eyeliner
For special occasions like these, Emma puts on her signature party makeup.
The Good Toothbrush
Here's why Emma loves the toothbrushes from The Humble Co.
Competition Time: Win Your Favorite CLEAN Perfumes!
Curious about layering your favorite CLEAN perfumes? Here's your chance to win your favorites perfumes – and create your own signature scent!