Natural-origin haircare line Biolage R.A.W. invites inspirational women to share their thoughts about living R.A.W. Meet casting director Helin Honung.
What defines you?
– Tough at first glance, but with a sensitive soul.
Would you say you live close to nature?
– I try to stay true to my own nature, who I am and what I want to become. But I guess you can lose yourself many times along the way. My alone time is very precious, and I often find myself taking long walks by the water close to the forest.
How do you define “raw”?
– As the most natural form: unrefined, unpeeled and untouched.
What does “raw” mean to you?
– Either “the roughness of reality” or “fruitful and rich”.
How much effort do you put into making greener choices in your everyday life?
– Being a vegan is maybe my greenest choice, and I try to do small things as I go along. I also strive to buy as much organic stuff as possible and I walk almost everywhere.
What’s your best sustainability tip?
– Walking, for sure! Also try eating according to a vegan diet as much you can, or at least make vegetarian choices. And don’t leave cables in outlets when you’re not in the house.
What’s your food philosophy?
– I don’t really believe in diets, but eating according to the vegan model suits me the best.
What’s good health to you?
– Routines, and a good balance between working out and eating plant based food.
What’s your guilty pleasure?
– Honestly, everything that’s considered “bad” for you.
How would you describe your relationship to your hair?
– My hair is a big and important part of me, and it feels like I’d lose myself if I cut it—there would definitely be drama.
Tell us about your hair routine!
– I wash my hair with both shampoo and conditioner once a week, at the most. Other then that I brush it carefully every morning and night with both a boar bristle and a comb. Then I braid it and massage coconut oil into the ends. I prefer to put more oil in when going to sleep rather than in the morning or during the day. Sometimes I even pour coconut oil over my head, massage it into my scalp and hair, leave it in overnight and rinse when I shower in the morning.
Have you ever detoxed your hair?
– Yes, I do it all the time! I sometimes don’t wash my hair for two weeks or so. I don’t really need to wash it very often to be honest; it would only dry out my scalp.
Are there any hair-related experiences that stand out in your memory?
– There’re so many! My sister once wrote a theatre play about my hair, and it was singled out as the most important performing arts biennale for children and youth in Sweden.
Do you have any homemade recipes for hair and beauty treatments, or any natural ingredients you swear by?
– No doubt it’s coconut oil.
How do you hope your hair and beauty routine will develop over time?
– I’ve always had good quality hair, so I just hope it stays that way.
This article is part of a collaboration with Biolage.
Get To Know Tautanz – A Conscious Brand for the Eco Bathroom
In the market for a little bathroom eco-upgrade? Check out the linen robes and handcrafted soaps from Tautanz.
Henné Organics Founder Laura Xiao Gives a Lip Care Crash Course
We bet we’re not the only ones suffering from dry and cracked lips this time of year, which is why we've brought in some expert help.
After a Year of Testing: These Are My Three Best SKIN TREAT Products
Emma is often asked to share her best Christmas gift ideas. Here's a safe one.
Rahua Co-Founder Anna Ayers On the Brand’s Do-Good Hero Ingredient (and More)
If you’re curious about the rahua oil, a champion of the Amazon rainforest, or just want some advice on hair care, this should be your weekend read!