Get to know Carl Oaks–a brand that makes sunglasses out of recycled wood.
Sunglass brand Carl Oaks was created by a group of friends who left their careers to begin a fun and adventurous journey. They share a love for the environment, which made them want to work with wood. All of Carl Oaks’ products are manufactured by recycled material and for each pair of sunglasses sold a tree is planted. We had a chat with Magnus Åhman to get to know the brand a little bit better.
Please tell us about how the journey of Carl Oaks started.
– I have a big city background and have lived and worked in some of the major capitals of the world. Over the years, I have felt a stronger longing for nature, to enjoy our environment, and feel the soothing relaxation of sitting on a mountaintop or being completely alone in the ocean. I basically wanted to get away from the fast paced lifestyle, take a step back and try to acknowledge the important things in life. So, one day I decided to leave my regular life and focus on a new lifestyle inspired by nature, traveling and adventures.
– Being an entrepreneur, I have a lot of ideas, but the most inspiring one was to create environmentally friendly sunglasses out of wood, to match my new lifestyle. I love the idea of combining the environmentally friendly materials and the natural style with fashion. To make people conscious about our environment in everyday life and make people realise that you can help the planet and look good at the same time.
Where does your inspiration comes from?
– Our inspiration comes from all the beautiful places we have seen and people we have met during the journey. We try to boil down the beauty of the world into our small little brand and our products, it’s tricky but we are trying! You will definitely see more products coming out, we have only just begun.
What are working on right now?
– We are at the moment working on a really colorful fall collection that should be out in October. At the same time, we are working on a new line for next year with some new frames. We are also constantly working hard on improving our sustainability and quality of our materials. The next few months are really exciting; we are super stoked about everything!
Which sunglass model is your personal favorite and why?
– My personal favorite model is the Ruby Beech. It has a natural clean fit on most faces and the glass is fantastic. To be honest, I didn’t like it at first but now I can’t stop wearing them!
All your products are made from wood and you also plant a tree for every sold pair of sunglasses (impressive!). How does Carl Oaks wish to develop its sustainable offer?
– Yes, planting trees is the least we can do, it feels good to try to erase our carbon footprint. Going forward we will improve our own production process and choice of materials. We will also carefully choose business partners in order to make sure that all aspects of our business and brand are fully enviromentally friendly. There is such a huge interest in our environment right now, and we want to be a strong voice in getting the message out there even more.
The Edit: Make it last x Gudrun Sjödén
We team up with Gudrun Sjödén to interpret a gorgeous Christmas collection.
See Adornment's Collection of Vintage and Atelier-Made Designs
Their beautiful campaign images are created by and features some of our dearest friends and colleagues.
Brand to Watch: Crafting Plastics! Studio
Crafting Plastics! Studio has launched an eyewear collection with the world’s first bioplastic frames.
Deadwood's Recycled Leather Jackets Celebrate 5 Years
We talk to Deadwood co-founder Carl Ollson about sustainability, design processes and recycled leather.