Discover a hidden gem for designer vintage.
The Malmö-based second hand store Séfr Séfr was started by two good friends – Per Fredrikson and Sinan Abi. With Séfr Séfr, they wanted to fill a gap in the Swedish fashion market by selling used designer clothes from brands from all over the world.
The duo has also created an own mini collection of men’s shirts that goes under the name “Séfr Séfr”. The clothing brand will expand during 2015 – and Per and Sinan are working with ideas of how to make the line sustainable.
What’s the meaning of the name Séfr Séfr?
– The literal meaning of Séfr Séfr is zero zero. It’s a tribute to our friendship.
How did the idea of starting a vintage store come up?
– We met for the first time about 15 years ago. From the beginning we always talked about starting up a business together, something to do with clothing as we share this interest.
– Even though neither one of us were big fans of vintage shopping the idea for Séfr Séfr took off in the spring of 2012. Back then we used to associate vintage shops with a shabby environment. We wanted to create a shop that offers well-selected brands and items in good condition. At the same time, we wanted to present them in a clean, fresh environment. In other words: A vintage store where you don’t have to root around to find a cool garment. If you visit our website today we don’t think many people would guess that we’re selling second hand items.
How do you select pieces for your store?
– Most sales are on commission, where private individuals drop by the store and submit clothes, or send garments to us. Since we want to offer our customers a variety of carefully chosen clothing brands certain criteria have to be met. The clothes must fit with the style of the store and must match with our existing brand offering, the quality must be good and of course there must be a resale value. All garments must be complete and clean. Our range of garments consists of pieces from big fashion houses, smaller brands and Scandinavian brands. We are becoming more selective in our approach and will continue in that direction.
– Since September 2014 you can also find our own brand, Séfr Séfr, in the shop. We started by releasing the shirt “Crashed” in two different colors. It has been received very well by our customers and has given us confidence to expand the brand, which you’ll see more of this spring.
What’s the most precious piece you’ve received?
– Oh, there have been so many during the years and it’s hard to choose. Right now we have an unused spring coat from Maison Martin Margiela in the range. But we also have very nice pieces from Acne Studios, Marni and Our Legacy.
How does the future of Séfr Séfr look like?
– It looks bright! We actually have a lot of ideas for the future. We’ll release more pieces from Séfr Séfr this spring and a few more in the fall. Spring/summer 2016 will see the arrival of the first full Séfr Séfr collection and it will hopefully be available at several retailers across the country. We are also planning to open a new store.
What’s your eco fashion prediction for 2015?
–We love people who go their own way and are themselves, there is no right or wrong. When it comes to fashion, it’s not always about following trends every time something new appears. We hope that in 2015, more people will buy garments which they see themselves wearing over longer periods of time instead of throwing it away once the trend is over.
Visit the website Séfr Séfr here.
Words by Hanna Karlsson
What House of Dagmar Realized After Measuring Their Footprint for Three Years
For pre-fall 2020, House of Dagmar introduces a Good Choice-tag – a label that guarantees a garment’s green credentials.
Editor’s Pick: Be Your Own Valentine
It’s Valentine’s Day tomorrow! To celebrate, we’ve picked out some sweet, sexy, stylish (and sustainable) pieces to give to your no. 1 person — yourself.
Gemme Is the New Fashion Rental Service that Makes Us Believe In the Sharing Economy
We talk to Emelie Gustafsson Maistedt — the woman behind the new techy solution that lets you share your wardrobe, and make money off it.
Gant Talk with Make it last – See You on Friday!
Join our founders on Friday as they give a GANT Talk on Sustainable Fashion.