Elin Nyström Alemdar, Stylein: “A year characterized by lust”
I feel a bit allergic to the word 'trend'
Elin Nyström Alemdar, head of design at Stylein, tells Make it last about the new Stylein Classics concept – and which garments she’s the most proud of having designed.
What can we expect from the upcoming show?
– A personal encounter with Stylein! We want to create an intimate presentation of the collection; the idea is to inspire and to invite you to Stylein’s world. Hopefully we will manage to create a strong yet peaceful feeling – where beautiful strong women are portrayed.
If I say sustainable fashion, what do you say?
– An incredibly complex but still incredibly important issue. Sometimes, I think it’s hard to be a part of the pressure that comes with fast consumption. Stylein today strives to create sustainable and classic fashion. We put a tremendous amount of time and effort to develop qualities that lasts for years to come. We work daily to find that perfect fit that allows our customer to find their own classics and favorites that they can use for a long time.
Is there any garment in particular among your collections that you are particularly proud of, that has a sustainable approach?
– I would spontaneously say that our suit and trench coat are some of the garments that I feel most satisfied with. I believe and hope that they may be qualified to fit our new Stylein Classics concept – where sustainability and long-term use are the focal points. A mini-collection that will be in stock constantly and that never reaches the sale section. We don’t want to pressure our customers into buying new it-garments every season. Instead, we want them to find garments they love – clothes they can cherish for a long time.
What would you say is the biggest trend for this spring?
– I don’t work with trends and feel a bit allergic to the word. The biggest trend perhaps is to not care about trends and instead concentrate on things that endure. Quality over quantity.
Tell me about the plans for Stylein this coming year.
– I am very inspired right now and feel optimistic about 2015. My desire to design has come back after I became a mother a year ago. I have now designed Stylein AW15 myself since my design colleague for many years moved abroad. It has been a great and exciting challenge to develop this collection because the market sets higher demands than ever on the fashion brands, and I welcome that challenge! We also look forward to opening the doors to our new pop up store at Mäster Samuelsgatan 5 in Biblioteksstan, it’s opening during fashion week in Stockholm.
What are you looking forward to in 2015?
– I hope it will be a year characterized by lust. Desire to create and at the same time look at the bigger perspective – that we all are pawns in the game of life. So, I’ll say, go enjoy every little bit of it.
Make it last Co-Founder Emma Elwin on Her Everlasting Love for Denim
Here's everything you need to know about Emma's love for crisp blue denim and what a perfect pair of jeans look like.
Brand to Watch: Young Frankk
Infatuated with the minimalist yet playful aesthetics of L.A.-based jewelry brand Young Frankk, we asked its founding designer Christine Young to share some inside info.
Why This Blouse Is a Winner For Summer
Having packed light for her summer in France, Emma found ways to wear her favorite garments in multiple ways.
Editor’s Pick: Mid Blue Denim, Forever!
We've made a selection of responsible jeans, skirts and jackets in our favorite mid blue denim wash.