Do we have a choice? It would be walking around naked...
Photo by Sotarnotf
The vegan designer Bea Szenfeld graduated Beckmans College of Design in Stockholm in 2002 and has since replaced most fabrics to her nowadays main material, paper. Her imaginative creations have been worn by Loreen, Björk and in this spring they were seen in Lady Gagas music video ”G.U.Y”.
How would your mom describe your style?
– Nowadays I think she would say that my style is ”ok”, but there have been quarrels about my style in the past.
Most memorable fashion experience?
– The move from Poland to Sweden in the 80s.
In what way is fashion present in your life?
– Clothing is our everyday uniform, so the clothes are always with and against us. Without opening our mouths, they tell how we feel, what social class we come from and so on.
Are you happy with that presence?
– Do we have a choice? It would be walking around naked…
How do you reason when you shop for clothes or beauty products?
– Pet friendly is everything! Ecological and fairtrade… and above all quality!
Where do you bargain sustainable or second hand clothes?
– In vintage shops! I have dresses and bras from the 20s that I have had for 15 years and they still hold true.
Give us a few practical tips on how to make our lifestyles more sustainable!
– Think of others, not just yourself. Eat organic! It’s good for your health and everyone elses! And it tastes better! Shop vintage and second hand. Patch up, or ignore the holes and use it anyway. Consume less… you need less than you are used to. Think baby steps! Don’t try to change everything at once. If you for instance want to become a vegetarian, start with a vegetarian diet one day a week.
Who would you like to spend one minute in an elevator with if you could choose anyone?
– My mum or Bill Drummond.
Who is your style icon?
– Wednesday from The Addams family and Catwoman.
FACTS ABOUT BEA SZENFELD
Name: Bea Szenfeld
Current projects in life: Working on my exhibition in L.A. in november.
Motto in life: Never look down on anybody unless you’re helping them up.
By Malene Birger Made with Care – Here’s How We Wear It
Made With Care is By Malene Birger’s first fully sustainable capsule collection. Make it last's Emma Elwin shows you how to wear it.
BITE Studios Widens Reach via Net-a-Porter
As part of the Net-a-Porter mentorship program The Vanguard, Swedish-British BITE Studios is highlighted as "a small label with great potential in the luxury fashion sector".
KICKS Quest To Collect Cosmetic Waste Continues
KICKS quest to help minimise the environmental footprint of beauty products continues with plans to expand the popular cosmetic waste initiative. Make it last has the latest news.
3 Top Reads This Week
What's new in the field of sustainable fashion? We've got you covered.